Scope of Job:
The Department of Medical Education at the UTRGV School Of Medicine seeks to hire a highly qualied faculty member to teach pharmacology primarily within the pre-clerkship curricular years of the MD program.
This position has a full-time instructional mandate, and the recruited candidate must be committed to excellence in the teaching and mentoring of rst- and second-year medical students, in addition to teaching within other graduate programs offered by the School of Medicine. The present MD curriculum at the school is designed around the Problem Based Learning (PBL) modality, while also employing interactive lecture-based instruction. Primary
- Develop and teach the integrated pharmacology curriculum to undergraduate medical students, utilizing interactive, and active learning modalities.
- Develop formative and summative assessments for pharmacology and integrated biomedical sciences content.
- Serve as module director for pre-clerkship, organ systems-based course.
- Supervise student scholarly projects and serve as an advisor to medical students.
- Contribute to the accreditation activities.
- Pursue scholarship/research through peer-reviewed or other publications or citable scholarly products related to education or pharmacology.
- Contribute to School of Medicine committees as a member.
- Participate in the interview and selection process of School of Medicine faculty and students.
- Doctoral degree, M.D., D.O. Ph.D. in Pharmacology or Pharm D
- Evidence of scholarly experience and productivity
- Commitment to innovative approaches to education and learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Discipline Specific Required Qualifications:
- Doctoral degree in Pharmacology or equivalent
- Experience in teaching pharmacology in medical or osteopathic schools
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience using different teaching methods which might include case-based learning, flipped classroom, problem-based learning (PBL), interactive large group presentations.
- Experience with student mentoring and advising.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary settings.
- Prior teaching experience in an LCME-accredited medical school would be considered extremely desirable.
- The ability to work collegially within an interdisciplinary team of other clinical/basic science educators would be considered an asset.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
License or Certification Required?: No
Number of Vacancies: 1
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following: *Date of Birth *Social Security Number *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
UTRGV is a distributed institution. As such and as assigned, the position may require presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment. This position is security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code 51.215. The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Texas law requires faculty members whose primary language is not English to demonstrate proficiency in English as determined by a satisfactory paper-based test score of 500 (computer-based of 173 or internet-based of 61) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a satisfactory test score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Incomplete applications will not be considered. All positions are subject to budget approval.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/39377