The current Associate Respiratory Therapy program has been very successful in preparing students for employment. The program maintains a passing rate of nearly 100% on the national therapy examinations. St. Augustine is seeking a respiratory professional who will assist the college in advancing the program in all areas: enrollment, academic rigor, student success, visibility and recognition, as well as advancing the program to a bachelor degree level. The graduates of the respiratory program are in great demand and find employment in some of the most distinguished healthcare provider organizations in the Chicago area. Most of the graduates obtain jobs within months of completing the program, and many have jobs before graduation.
At St. Augustine College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to help enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to career success.
The primary purpose of the RRT Instructional Faculty is to facilitate student learning through creative and innovative methods of teaching using the most up-to-date materials and techniques available. The RRT Instructional Faculty will measure outcomes of instruction and student learning through assessment of student knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach a broad range of courses in the RT discipline or subject area;
- Participate in curriculum and course design, including hybrid and online formats;
- Use a wide range of delivery systems such as lecture, lecture/lab, self-paced, independent or individualized instruction;
- Maintain competency and currency in the discipline taught as well as in teaching methodology pedagogy and curriculum assessment methods;
- Evaluate and revise course outlines, course materials, and instructional methods;
- Teach Respiratory Care courses and assist with labs as needed;
- Carry out responsibilities in both instruction and/or clinical coordination.
- Lead as a critical agent in student academic success;
- Evaluate student educational progress, hold students accountable for learning;
- Provide ongoing academic advising through faculty-student mentoring;
- Serve and represent the department on college-wide committees with the highest level of professional and ethical behavior;
- Build community relations and develop the program;
- Perform other professional duties as assigned by the VP for Academic Affairs/Provost;
- Work a flexible schedule including day, evening, and weekend classes as needed to meet student demand;
- Based on Master Syllabus, design and teach assigned class session(s), leveraging digital content and multi-media resources in the classroom;
- Assess student engagement/understanding during each class session and throughout the semester;
- Maintain and update the syllabus and course materials and make sure they are available through the College’s Learning Management System.
Required Work Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Licenses, Certifications:
- Master’s degree from an academic institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) in health sciences, physical care services, or other closely related health care discipline.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist credential from the National Board for Respiratory Care. Must hold a valid RRT credential, must be a licensed practitioner in the state of Illinois or eligible for licensure in the state.
- Minimum of three (4) years’ experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist of which at least two (2) years must include experience in clinical respiratory care.
- Have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience teaching in an accredited respiratory care program either as an appointed faculty member or as a clinical preceptor.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of current technologies appropriate to the area of instruction.
- Student learning styles: adapt and modify based on the population of students;
- Cultural competency: experience teaching a diverse student population, reflecting our student body;
- Techniques for academic advising: understand the myriad of resources available through student development and guidance;
- Current issues, trends, advances, research, and practices impacting the discipline;
- Experience in curriculum, assessment and program development.
- Ph.D. degree in a health care discipline
- Experience with innovative teaching methodologies
- Experience using assessment instruments and their interpretation using data analytics to improve institutional programs and services; online and hybrid curriculum development, course design, and delivery;
- Experience using a Learning Management System, e.g. Canvas.