The Department of Kinesiology in the School of Education and Health Sciences at North Central College invites applications for a Tenure Track faculty position in Exercise Science starting August 1, 2020. Candidates must have an earned doctorate in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology or related field by the start date.
Candidates who are very familiar with industry governing bodies and standards, along with NSCA-CSCS, ACSM-EP or related certifications, are preferred. The Kinesiology Department prides itself on interactive excellence in college level, student- centered teaching. We are a department built on a foundation of collaboration and open communication and we seek a colleague who will actively contribute to our department identity and help us to continue cultivating a sense of positive synergy as we grow. An active scholarly agenda and the ability to engage students in undergraduate research utilizing the Human Performance Laboratory is an expectation of this position.
Major duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Provide instruction in Exercise Science major courses including the exercise science gateway course (EXSC 101), courses in the applicant’s area of expertise, and other courses as needed.
- Assist with the growth of Exercise Science students by providing careful preparation of course materials, innovative and effective teaching methods, informed assessment of course content and mentoring of their professional development
- Develop knowledge of content and skill area expectations of governing bodies (ACSM, NSCA, etc) and ensure outcomes are met in assigned courses
- Participate in curriculum development
- Provide undergraduate student research opportunities and oversight
- Serve as the faculty advisor for the Health and Exercise Association (HEXA), a student-run organization
- Collaborate effectively with department and college members to deliver the Exercise Science curriculum
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities
- Maintain scheduled office hours
- Participate in department, school, and college meetings
- Perform related duties as assigned in a timely manner
- Serve as an active department, school, and college citizen
- This position may evolve into a Program Director role. The timeline for this option is variable based on the candidate, and can be expedited if a candidate has experience in areas that will be required of the Program Director.
Founded in 1861, North Central College is a selective, comprehensive liberal arts institution of about 3000 students, located 28 miles west of Chicago in Naperville. The College is in a period of growth with the addition of a $60 million Science Center opened in March 2017. The college is within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station and is next to downtown Naperville. The Naperville area is home to many excellent school districts and Naperville, IL has been ranked as one of the best places to live by Money magazine. For more information, please visit: http://www.noctrl.edu. North Central College is an EEO Employer.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and contact information for three professional references.
For further information, please email Tammy Wynard, Chair, Department of Kinesiology, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin mid-September 2019 and continue until the position is filled.