Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 196001 – Dept-Population,Health,Pathobi
Location: Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
The CVM has achieved national recognition in research, teaching and clinical excellence, and the Department of Population Health and Pathobiology (PHP) plays critical roles in all of these areas. PHP is dedicated to excellence in educating and training veterinarians and comparative biomedical scientists, and is home to 39 multi-disciplinary faculty, as well as staff, post-doctoral fellows, graduate students, residents and interns (house officers). Disciplines represented in PHP include Epidemiology and Public Health, Microbiology and Immunology, Pathology, Parasitology, Poultry Health Management, Ruminant Health Management, and Swine Health and Production Medicine. PHP trains veterinary medical students, residents and interns (house officers) as well as MS and PhD students interested in a career in Comparative Biomedical Sciences and other disciplines. The department focuses on advancing knowledge and offering solutions to improve the quality of health in animals.
The PHP Department Head must be an innovative, creative, visionary and collaborative leader with the ability and experience required to guide the members of this multi-disciplinary department in achieving its mission. The PHP Department Head must possess the leadership skills and vision to advance the impact and reputation of the PHP Department nationally and internationally.
The PHP Department plays a critical role in the College’s success.
Primary duties of the Department Head include, but are not limited to the following:
• Provide academic and scientific leadership in defining and achieving the goals of the Department.
• Grow the departmental research enterprise. It is anticipated that the Department Head will have a strong track record in research and may continue to pursue a personal research program.
• Improve the service and teaching activities of the department, as part of the larger College mission in those areas.
• Serve as the primary Departmental advocate in enhancing the visibility and prestige of the departmental sections and disciplines, and in growing interdisciplinary programs
• Uphold One CVM values by prioritizing community, practicing inclusivity and collaboration, promoting innovation and pursuing our passion.
• Continue to build a strong mentorship program for professional development of department members.
• Manage fiscal planning and administration, direct and evaluate faculty and administrative staff.
Requires doctor’s degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience.
The Department Head must possess the interpersonal skills and a leadership vision that will advance the impact and reputation of the PHP Department nationally and internationally. The successful candidate will have an outstanding record of achievement in the areas of clinical excellence, research and teaching.
Candidates must have:
• Strong communication skills
• Demonstrated academic leadership and administrative experience
• Experience with extramurally funded research programs and a strong track record in research
• A record of collegial and productive interactions with faculty, staff and students
• Interest, enthusiasm, and experience in mentorship, particularly in guiding junior faculty toward successful careers in research, teaching and clinical excellence
• Experience working across disciplinary boundaries and interest in supporting highly interdisciplinary and collaborative faculty
• Experience and enthusiasm for innovative pedagogy and teaching excellence
• Demonstrated success in establishing collaborative relationships both within the university and with the private and public sectors
• Understanding and enthusiasm for the integral role of the extension services and clinical teaching hospital environment in a College of Veterinary Medicine
• Ability to work with departmental members to develop departmental vision and for planning and implementation of strategic initiatives
• Demonstrated success in clinical or extension services, particularly in the production animal industry
• Specialty Board Certification
Required license or certification:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.