- DDS/DMD or equivalent degree.
- Eligible for New York State License.
- Experience in administrative or program leadership at an academic teaching institution.
- Record of academic achievement, funding and scholarly activity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern technologies including digital dentistry.
- Must have ten (10) years’ experience in an academic setting.
- Master’s degree or PhD.
- Experience in working with senior administration.
- National level service in professional organizations.
- Clinical practice experience in restorative dentistry.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine (SDM) invites applications for a full-time tenured/tenure track position at the Associate Professor or Professor level in the Department of General Dentistry.
The selected candidate will serve as chairperson of the Department of General Dentistry and will be responsible for oversight and continued development of educational, clinical and research programs within the department.
The chairperson is expected to:
- Promote excellence and lead the teaching responsibilities of the department in supporting a contemporary general dentistry education in the DDS program.
- Innovate, collaborate and foster inter-disciplinary and intra-disciplinary educational programs involving the different departments within the school, health sciences, and university.
- Be a productive scholar and obtain extramural funding to support research and/or program development.
- Represent the Department of General Dentistry, the School of Dental Medicine, and Stony Brook University by serving on committees and task forces.
- Participate in appropriate state and national level professional organizations.
- Participate and support of the department’s participation in general dentistry related community service activities.
- Have an organizational awareness and an understanding of how to effectively work with faculty, staff and senior administration.
- Recruit, retain and develop faculty members and have familiarity with faculty and staff calibration, credentialing and privileging.
- Be well versed with accreditation processes and ensure alignment with CODA accreditation standards.
- Participate in the education of dental students and residents.
- Strengthen the operational practices within the academic, research and clinical areas of the department in alignment with the overarching school and university mission.
- Demonstrate experience in the management of personnel, educational and research budgets; and have a track record of recruitment and retention of outstanding dental educators and research faculty.
- Demonstrate experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so.
- Establish a robust track record of scholarly accomplishments, extramural funding and leadership within a complex organization.
This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
2. Submit a State Employment Application, cover letter and resume/CV by clicking Apply. Alternately, you may submit your application package to the departmental address or fax below.
Ms. Josephine Levan
Office of the Dean
School of Dental Medicine
160 Rockland Hall
Stony Brook, NY 11784-8700
Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the five Health Sciences schools – Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Renaissance School of Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare – as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 180 pediatric specialists in 30 specialties, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region.
Official Job Title: Associate Professor/Professor
Campus: Health Sciences Center
Department: General Dentistry – School of Dental Medicine
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY/RESEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE ALL TO APPLY INCLUDING INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND PROTECTED VETERANS. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police