Position Number: 610326
FTE: 1=9/10 month -Faculty only
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Public Health Education at North Carolina Central University’s mission is to prepare students to become entry-level community health educators who will be able to work with widely diverse populations. The key performance indicators focus on enrollment and graduation rates, faculty and student professional development, general education outcomes, and service learning. The duties of this position support the department’s mission and University’s strategic plan through teaching, research, service, and mentoring that foster academic engagement, innovation and trans-formative leadership, inclusive culture, and social responsibility.
Primary Purpose of Position
The primary purpose of the Assistant/ Associate Professor position is to teach a full load of public health courses in the undergraduate program each semester. Part of the teaching responsibilities may include internship coordination. The Assistant/Associate Professor must also develop and maintain an active research portfolio; provide service to the department, university, and community; mentor students and contribute to the development of the Department of Public Health Education.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic function and responsibility: provide instruction in courses assigned by the Department Chairperson.
- Advise students effectively.
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of the field of health education.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to teach a diverse population, to use technology in the classroom, and to develop appropriate teaching strategies to enhance students’ learning.
- Demonstrate a high level of self-discipline and self-motivation.
- Display a positive, supportive, and cooperative disposition toward others.
- Maintain a record of scholarly accomplishment including professional publications/presentations and obtaining extramural funding.
- Doctoral degree in Health Education/Promotion (Doctorates in other Public Health fields with a Master’s degree in Health Education/Promotion may be considered.).
- Prior teaching experience at the university level is strongly preferred.
- Desirable to have professional/volunteer experience in the health education field such as working in community-based organizations.
Licenses or Certification required by Statute or Regulation
No. CHES or MCHES preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.