The department of Health and Sport Sciences in the College of Education and Health Sciences is currently seeking a full-time faculty tenure track position in the Physical Education Program with a focus on teaching, research and service in Adapted Physical Education starting fall 2023.
The Department is deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity and welcomes applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. We are an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution and committed to serving our Hispanic population. We encourage applications from bilingual speakers.
● Teach undergraduate and graduate Physical Education Teacher Education courses to a diverse student population in initial and advanced teacher certification program primarily within Adapted and Inclusive Physical Education. Secondary teaching responsibilities could be in the areas of health-related fitness, pedagogy, motor behavior, technology and assessment, or research methods.
● Advise and mentor students.
● Provide service to school, university, and community.
● Establish or continue a research line within physical education, physical activity, wellness, or a related field.
● Collaborate with the Chair and faculty of the Department of Health and Sport Sciences for program administration and to develop and implement dynamic curriculum and program enhancements.
● Aid in student recruitment and retention efforts in collaboration with the University.
● Earned terminal degree in Physical Education or a related field. ABD candidates will receive consideration.
● Experience with teacher certification, student teaching, professional organizations, student mentoring, and accreditation are strongly preferred.
● Experience teaching adapted physical education courses.
● A track record of scholarship and service should be commensurate with rank.
● Academic experiences (teaching, scholarship and/or service) with culturally diverse populations that enhance instruction of teacher candidates regarding culturally responsive teaching
● Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
● Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, a current CV, a statement on research, a teaching philosophy, and two letters of reference. Research statement and teaching philosophy should identify ways in which the candidate can fulfill needs within the current program, but also the candidate will help the program grow in new directions.
● To be considered, applications must be apply through the Adelphi website only, https://www.adelphi.edu/hr/open-positions/.
● Review of applications will begin upon receipt of application with the search continuing until the position is filled.
● Direct any inquiries to the chair of the search committee, Professor Paul Rukavina, Ph.D. Phone: 516-877-4197, Email: Rukavina@adelphi.edu.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four-Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 7,500 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students 75 undergraduate programs, more than 70 master’s degree and doctoral programs, and 55 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 118,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 44 states and 65 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
Adelphi University is the premiere institution in Physical Education Teaching Preparation on Long Island. The Physical Education Program currently offers a BS in Physical Education and an MS in Physical Education both with K-12 NYS certification. A recently developed 4 + 1 program allows students to earn a BS in Physical Education and an MA in Health Education in 5 years with many health courses completed during the initial four-year period and included in undergraduate tuition. Our Masters programs offers specializations in Adapted Physical Education, Sport-Based Youth Development, and Health, Physical Education, and Athletic Leadership, and Inclusive Physical Activity and Sport. The programs are housed in the department of Health and Sport Sciences in the College of Education and Health Sciences. The department also offers undergraduate programs in Exercise Science, Physical Activity Studies, and Sport Management as well as graduate programs in Community Health Promotion, Exercise Science, Health Education, Nutrition, Physical Activity Studies, and Sport Management. These academic programs prepare practitioners, administrators, researchers and leaders within all relevant career fields. http://education-ehps.adelphi.edu/.
The College of Education and Health Science at Adelphi University, home to the department of Health and Sport Sciences is one of the paramount institutions in the preparation of practitioners and leaders in education and allied human service fields. The Department is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. For further information about the college and the department, go to http://education.adelphi.edu/.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=43&rid=2852