University of Michigan – Flint
The Department of Public Health and Health Sciences, School of Health Professions and Studies (SHPS), seeks candidates for a tenure track faculty position in our growing department. This is a critical time for public health at the University of Michigan-Flint. Our students and faculty are heavily engaged with our community partners addressing the wide range of issues related to our water crisis. At the same time we are seeking CEPH accreditation this year, and have experienced dramatic growth in our student population in numbers and diversity for both domestic and international students. Our public health program is the only one in the U.S. to hold a membership in ASPHER (Association of Schools of Public Health-European Region) which broadens our access for student and faculty collaborations throughout Europe and beyond.
Located in downtown Flint, Michigan holds many unique opportunities for faculty. We are experiencing a synergistic downtown revitalization that is driven by an emphasis on public health research, health promotion activities and the presence of new health care providers who are deeply committed and have come together to improve the health of the population. We are seeking candidates who are excited by the opportunities that the University offers and who wish to be part of this energy, growth and development.
The University’s mission is built upon three pillars: excellence in teaching, learning and scholarship; student centeredness; and engaged citizenship. Consistent with our mission, the ideal candidate will be a teacher-scholar who can integrate these 3 pillars in a seamless synergistic manner to provide the best learning opportunities for our students while working to improve the communities we serve.
We are interested in candidates who have demonstrated potential for significant scholarship and obtaining external funding. The successful applicant for this 9 month appointment will teach both on-campus and on-line. Our diverse, talented and energetic faculty seeks candidates who will contribute to our shared mission to eliminate health inequities. The Flint public health and health provider communities and the University of Michigan offer exciting collaborative opportunities for scholarship geared toward improving our community’s health.
The Department of Public Health and Health Sciences has three graduate and six undergraduate programs. Department faculty are engaged in research in health services, health disparities, health promotion (HIV/AIDS, diabetes, mental illness), disability and aging, and cultural competence.
- Doctoral degree in Health related discipline with MPH, MPA, or related area.
- Academic background/expertise in one or more of the following: health care management, ambulatory care, long-term care, finance, health care operations/quality management, health information systems/informatics, marketing, managed care, health insurance and human resources.
- Previous administrative experience in public health practice setting highly desired
- Record of strong scholarly achievement and potential for acquiring external funding
- Minimum 3 years successful college/university teaching experience
- Experience in or strong interest to teach on-line
- Strong record of working with undergrad and graduate students in advising, mentoring and career development
- Commitment to participate in academic program development and leadership opportunities
- Commitment to engage in service activities, community outreach and local, regional and national professional organizations
To Apply: Please submit a vita, names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references, and a statement of interest to: Dr. Shan Parker, Department of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Michigan-Flint, Flint, Michigan 48502-1950 or email: email@example.com, or fax 810-762-3003. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and continue until position is filled.
The University of Michigan – Flint is a non-discriminatory, Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
About University of Michigan - Flint
The UM-Flint campus sits on a beautiful 75 acre riverfront situated in downtown Flint, Genesee County Michigan. It has an enrollment of over 7,500 graduate and undergraduate students, is one of three campuses of the University of Michigan. The University of Michigan – Flint campus is the fastest growing public institution of higher learning in the State of Michigan. It is one of four campuses in Michigan listed as “best value” as cited in the Princeton Review.