Posting Number: F1700162
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. To apply, please visit:
The University at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine invites applications for Chair of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is one of seven departments in the University at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine. It is charged with providing education and training to predoctoral dental students and is responsible for the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program as well as providing instruction as needed to other clinical specialty programs.
The Chair of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery will be a departmental leader who will collaborate with other members of the School of Dental Medicine faculty, the University community and the teaching hospitals’ staff. The incumbent will advocate and foster high quality academic, patient care, and research programs; encourage and value community outreach in dental care; support faculty success; build strong relationships with constituents; and grow philanthropy. The successful candidate will participate in the well-established clinical practice plan. Applicants must have a commitment to diversity and equal opportunity.
The School of Dental Medicine is located on the university’s South Campus that is home to most of the other health professions schools comprising the Academic Health Center. The school is currently in the midst of a $25 million dollar renovation of its preclinical and clinical facilities.
Associate Professor HS or Professor HS
● Lead the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery faculty, staff, and students in a collaborative manner to achieve University, School of Dental Medicine (SDM) and departmental mission, vision, and strategic objectives.
● Develop an outstanding pre-doctoral and post-graduate oral surgery didactic and clinical program.
● Provide leadership in curriculum review and curriculum development in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
● Identify and continually improve outcomes measures for the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
● Recruit and mentor a diverse oral surgery faculty to ensure their professional growth and the progress of their academic careers.
● Expand departmental research and extramural research support.
● Provide key leadership to the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program. Work closely with the Program Director to establish a clear vision and strategy for continuous improvement.
● Strengthen clinical training and clinical patient care programs for predoctoral students and for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residents.
●. Integrate campus, community, practice plan, and inter-professional opportunities.
● Collaborate with key constituents, stakeholders, community leaders, organizations, and others to improve oral surgery training, expand research and serve the community.
● Optimize and leverage departmental financial resources, human resources, and administrative operations while fulfilling applicable policy, procedures, regulations, and laws.
● Integrate quality improvement processes, critical thinking, and strategic thinking into the culture of the department and its programs.
● Expand philanthropy from the school’s alumni and graduates of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program.
● DDS or DMD
● Board certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
● Must have significant experience in oral and maxillofacial surgery
● Must have experience in an academic institution or hospital in training dental students and/or residents
● A record of scholarship and research support
● Credentials appropriate for appointment at the associate professor or professor level
● An advanced degree including a MD or PhD degree
● A history of or current leadership in professional organizations
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and in keeping with our commitment, encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply.
Open Until Filled