Illinois College is a residential, private liberal arts college located in historic Jacksonville, Illinois, 85 miles northeast of Saint Louis, Missouri, and 30 miles west of Springfield, the Illinois State Capitol. True to its founding vision in 1829, Illinois College is a community committed to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity in the liberal arts. Illinois College promotes academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity through an increasingly diverse student population, currently comprised of 26 percent underrepresented students. The College develops in its students’ qualities of mind and character needed for fulfilling lives of leadership and service, fostering academic excellence rooted in opportunities for experiential learning while preparing students for lifelong success.
Illinois College Department of Education invites applications for an open-rank, tenure track (with appropriate qualifications) position in Physical Education (PE) and Health beginning in fall 2018.
The following list of duties is meant to be representative of the work performed in this position. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- champion the K-12 PE undergraduate program
- teach a majority of the PE courses, including teaching the PE methods course
- supervise PE student teachers and support them through the edTPA submission process
- participate in faculty-student collaborations to interest students in the research and scholarship of teaching physical education
- maintain and expand strong integration with the local community and school districts
- revise the PE program to align with anticipated changes in state licensure requirements
- participate in the development of IC’s new Health Sciences major
- at least 3 years K-12 teaching experience
- an earned doctorate in PE or a related field preferred; a master’s degree in PE or a related field with K-12 teaching experience will be considered
- Ability to teach kinesiology and/or other health sciences courses
- Intercultural competency, ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds
Application Submissions should include the following:
- letter of application
- evidence of teaching effectiveness (teaching philosophy, syllabi, course evaluations, etc.)
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- statement of research/scholarship philosophy
- three letters of reference
Direct submissions to the Office of Academic Affairs, Attn: Todd Oberg, Chair of the Physical Education Search Committee, Illinois College, 1101 W College Ave, Jacksonville, IL 62650. Electronic submissions are encouraged; please send materials in PDF format to email@example.com.
Review of applications begins November 1, 2017. Illinois College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented minorities and women.