Lewis University, in partnership with the national search firm Scott Healy & Associates, seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as the Founding Graduate Program Director of the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology program. Lewis University invites applications and nominations for this exciting opportunity to build this new MSSLP program from the ground up. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Education, this dynamic leader will lead development, oversee the ASHA accreditation process, and guide implementation of this new health sciences program. This is a 12-month, tenure-track faculty appointment.
Lewis University is a Catholic university in the Lasallian tradition offering distinctive undergraduate and graduate programs to nearly 7,000 traditional and adult students. Lewis offers multiple campus locations, online degree programs, and a variety of formats that provide accessibility and convenience to a growing student population. Sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, Lewis prepares intellectually engaged, ethically grounded, globally connected, and socially responsible graduates. The seventh largest private not-for-profit university in Illinois, Lewis has been nationally recognized by The Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report. Visit www.lewisu.edu for further information.
The Suburban Chicago Community
Lewis University’s main campus, a picturesque 410-acre setting, is located in Romeoville, Illinois, just 30 miles southwest of Chicago. Chicago boasts some of the best cuisine, attractions, sports and entertainment in the U.S., including several of the top 100 restaurants in the country and one of the best orchestras in the world in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. There’s no limit to what you can discover – from rich histories to diverse cultural traditions, and hidden treasures to local landmarks. Chicago has something for everyone.
The Graduate Director of the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology Program reports directly to the Dean of the College of Education and is responsible for program leadership within the Department. The Graduate Director is a full-time, twelve month, tenure-track faculty position overseeing all administrative responsibilities for the program as well as leading and participating in teaching, service, and scholarly activities. Responsibilities include:
- Modeling the University Mission through dedicated job performance, service excellence to constituencies, respectful collaboration and active support of the mission in a Catholic and Lasallian higher education community;
- Providing visionary, innovative, and collaborative leadership in developing and implementing the new MSSLP program consistent with ASHA accreditation standards and in pursuing initial and maintaining ongoing ASHA accreditation;
- Collaborating with the Dean of the College of Education in recruiting, hiring, leading, and overseeing relevant department personnel;
- Promoting excellence in teaching, pursuing academic excellence and integrity, assisting with achieving recruiting and retention goals, coordinating academic advising, scheduling of classes and clinical experiences, and facilitating assessment and program review;
- Promoting scholarship among faculty and students, including seeking external funding to support research and scholarship;
- Incorporating institutional and college strategic plan into program development strategies and initiatives;
- Promoting the program and enhancing its visibility and reputation on campus and within the profession;
- Developing strategic community partnerships to support program goals and provide service;
- Coordinating daily department/program operations and managing departmental budget in collaboration with the College of Education Deans office;
- Collaborating with the Graduate Dean, Department Chairs, other Graduate Program Directors, and faculty in visioning/strategic planning initiatives and other projects to support and promote graduate studies at Lewis University.
The ideal candidate should possess a distinguished academic record in teaching, research/scholarship, and service that merits appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in the College of Education. The following credentials should also be met:
- A graduate degree with a major emphasis in speech-language pathology, audiology, or in speech, language, and hearing science;
- An earned doctorate in a related field (PhD, EdD, SLPD, etc);
- A minimum of six (6) years clinical practice as a speech and language therapist with a demonstrated knowledge of current professional practice and service delivery domains;
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a full-time academic appointment with college level teaching experience is required;
- Must be licensed or eligible for licensure as a Speech and Language Pathologist in the State of Illinois through the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations (IDFPR) and have an ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence;
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, work collaboratively in teams, interact effectively with colleagues, administrators, faculty and students as well as external constituencies, and provide visionary leadership for this academic program;
- A record of personal integrity and a demonstrated commitment to the Mission of the University is essential;
- Administrative experience, including but not limited to, program planning and implementation, personnel management, evaluation, and budgeting;
- A recognized record of scholarship;
- Preferred qualifications include: (a) academic administrative experience; and (b) experience in program review and accreditation.
All correspondence relating to the MSSLP Program Director position should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive recruitment consultant:
Mr. Christopher S. Healy, Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
The full and complete application should contain the following information:
1) A cover letter outlining your experience in Speech and Language Pathology and/or in related fields in higher education.
2) A complete CV outlining your career in higher education and within health related areas.
3) The names of five professional references including their relationship to you, their position, email, and direct phone numbers. References will not be contacted without written permission.
This search will remain open until the position is filled.
About Lewis University
Located 25 miles southwest of Chicago, Lewis University is a Catholic university in the Lasallian tradition offering distinctive undergraduate and graduate programs to a growing and diverse student population. Sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, Lewis prepares intellectually engaged, ethically grounded, globally connected, and socially responsible graduates. The seventh largest private not-for-profit university in Illinois, Lewis has been nationally recognized by The Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report. Visit www.lewisu.edu for further information.