The Director of the Division of Prosthodontics at the East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine is responsible for leading and managing the Division of Prosthodontics within the Department of General Dentistry and reports directly to the Chair of the Department. The Division of Prosthodontics includes the sections of BioMedical Materials, Geriatric Dentistry and Implant Restoration and works in close cooperation with other divisions, departments and administrative units to support the School’s programs and initiatives.
The Director of the Division of Prosthodontics directs the hiring, mentoring and professional development of the faculty and staff within the division. The Director coordinates the development and implementation of the Prosthodontics aspects of the didactic and preclinical curriculum, and participates in clinical coverage in the Doctor of Dental Medicine program and provides educational and clinical support for the Advanced Education in General Dentistry ( AEGD) and General Practice Residency ( GPR) programs.
Specific duties include:
- Recruiting, hiring, and mentoring of faculty and staff within the Division of Prosthodontics.
- Working closely with the Chair of the Department of General Dentistry and the Assistant Dean for Education and Informatics in curriculum development and implementation related to removable and fixed prosthodontics and implants, and with the faculty in the Department of Surgical Sciences related to implant planning, placement and restoration.
- Facilitating ongoing development and implementation of strong educational and clinical programs related to fixed and removable prosthodontics and implants for students and residents in Ross Hall and at the Community Service Learning Centers.
- Ensuring that the dental students, residents and faculty are competent in the management of fixed and removable prosthodontics and the restoration of implants.
- Working closely with the Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics and other informatics personnel to optimize the use of technology to support the division’s teaching programs.
- Working with Division faculty and others to develop and deliver state-of-the-art continuing education programs.
- Representing the Division, the Department of General Dentistry and the School of Dental Medicine at meetings and with external constituencies.
- Actively participating in the School’s faculty practice plan and strongly encouraging other Department faculty to fully participate.
- Performing other duties and assuming additional responsibilities as assigned by the Chair of the Department of General Dentistry or the Dean.
This position is located in Greenville, NC.
Special Instructions To Application:
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
- DDS or DMD from a Dental School accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation ( CODA)
- Eligibility for dental licensure in North Carolina (A NC dental license must be secured within the first two months of employment.)
- American Board certification (or eligibility) in Prosthodontics
- Experience in preparing and teaching preclinical and clinical aspects of prosthodontics
- Substantial clinical experience with implant supported prosthodontics.
- Demonstrated ability to develop successful problem-solving teams
- Commitment to conducting basic and/or clinical research, and other scholarly activities that will help qualify for appropriate promotion
- Knowledge of issues in dental education
Position Number: 001104
Organizational Unit Overview:
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of nine administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina.