The University of Saint Mary (USM) is creating a Masters of Occupational Therapy Program and invites candidates to apply for the position of chair starting January 2018. The Chair will build and launch this new program.
Located in Leavenworth, Kan., 30 minutes from Kansas City, USM is a private, Catholic, liberal arts university with a strategic focus on healthcare.
Over the past decade, USM has grown into an area force in health care education-developing well-regarded new programs addressing positions of critical need, from nurses, to health information management pros, to physical therapists. Our graduates fill the ranks of area hospitals, attend preeminent local medical schools, and serve the greater Kansas City community in dental and medical practices. The university’s focus on health care education stems from the first missions of our founders, the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth-who were pioneers in nursing and education in Kansas-and is targeted at meeting both society’s needs for health care professionals and our students’ needs for cutting-edge programs. USM offers multiple bachelors programs in health care education as well as a Master of Science in Nursing and a Doctor in Physical Therapy.
In keeping with the spirit of our founding Sisters of Charity, the University of Saint Mary is committed to helping students realize their God-given potential-inspiring them to strive for academic excellence in coursework and in practice, while preparing to become competent entry-level occupational therapists.
This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position at the associate or full professor level. Rank is commensurate with experience. The successful candidate will possess outstanding leadership and communication skills, and evidence of teaching, service, and scholarly activity. The Chair will direct the new Masters of Occupational Therapy program’s application and accreditation process. The position will be responsible for selection of faculty and staff, personnel management, budgeting, program planning and implementation. The Chair is responsible for leading and managing departmental activities that provide a successful entry-level occupational therapy program; assuring compliance with the broad scope of standards/requirements for various regulatory agencies, including the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA); representing the program with diverse constituencies; and directing program activities related to fulfilling the vision, mission, and strategic plan of the program and university. Candidates interested in an academic career with a focus on leadership, teaching, service, and scholarly pursuit are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will have strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Earned terminal academic doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution (or documentation of a ACOTE “Exception”).
- Minimum of six years of full-time higher education experience
- Licensed (or eligible for licensure) to practice occupational therapy in Kansas.
- Eligible for the rank of associate or full professor.
- Active involvement in the occupational therapy profession with an understanding of key issues in occupational therapy education.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well at all levels in a complex and diverse environment, fostering a spirit of collaboration with faculty, colleagues, staff, administrators, and students.
- Ability to set, communicate, and complete established priorities.
- Knowledge and experience with ACOTE accreditation.
- Record of successful leadership.
- Experience with management of human and fiscal resources.
- Understanding and experience with curriculum content, design, and assessment/evaluation.
- Experience in strategic planning.
Based on experience and educational background.
Applicants should submit (electronic submissions preferred) a cover letter, curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts for all college work (official transcripts will be required at hiring), and three references with contact information, including email addresses and telephone numbers to:
Or mail to:
Kelly Grisnik, Director of Human Resources
University of Saint Mary
4100 South 4th Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.