The Department of Health, Nutrition, and Exercise Sciences at North Dakota State University invites applications for a 9-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the area of exercise science beginning Fall of 2018. This position will be 40 percent teaching, 40 percent research, 10 percent advising, and 10 percent service. Responsibilities will include supporting NDSU’s land-grant mission of teaching, research, and service.
Successful candidates will teach courses in the accredited undergraduate Exercise Science program as well as the Master’s and PhD programs in Exercise Science and Nutrition; participate in academic advising; direct graduate theses and dissertations and serve on graduate student committees; establish an independent line of research and publish in scholarly journals; seek and secure external funding to support scholarly activity; be active in professional societies; and provide service to the department, college, university, and community.
Teaching responsibilities may include but are not restricted to: undergraduate courses in research methods, worksite health promotion, and exercise and disease; graduate courses in research methods, physical activity and wellness, and assessment in exercise science. Other courses may be developed to fit the successful candidate’s expertise.
1. PhD in exercise science, exercise physiology, or closely related field from an accredited institution (PhD degree completion required by August 1, 2018)
2. Demonstrated proficiency in college teaching in exercise science courses
3. Evidence of potential to publish original research
4. Effective oral and written communication skills
5. Demonstrated ability to interact and collaborate effectively with a diversity of colleagues and students
1. Peer-reviewed publications in cardiovascular physiology or physical activity
2. Evidence of successful academic advising at the undergraduate and graduate levels
3. Experience supervising graduate student research
4. Ability to secure external funding to support scholarly research
5. Membership and involvement in professional organizations
6. ACSM or NSCA certification
7. Ability to collaborate and compliment current research in the department, college, and NDSU
Special Instructions to Applicants:
A complete application packet will include: 1) a letter of application addressing the position qualifications, 2) a current curriculum vitae, 3) the names and contact information for at least three professional references, 4) unofficial copies of all degree granting transcripts, 5) teaching philosophy, and 6) research plan.
Screening will begin 1/15/18.