Dental Programs at Santa Fe College is seeking a nine (9) month Assistant Professor to promote and encourage student success through quality instruction and real world learning experiences beginning Fall 2018. The Santa Fe College Dental Clinic provides affordable dental care services including x-rays, oral exams, dental hygiene care, fluoride treatments, and sealants. These limited dental services are performed by Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting students under the supervision of the Dental Programs’ faculty and dental clinic staff.
Under general supervision, the Assistant Professor, Dental Programs (Dental Hygiene) will develop, prepare and teach a variety of assignments consisting of didactic, clinical and laboratory instruction, including the evaluation of dental hygiene students, as well as teaching Dental Assisting program students. The Assistant Professor, Dental Programs will also perform as one of the two lead faculty and assist the Director of Dental Programs as needed. Candidates must have the flexibility to teach at different times and clinical sites throughout the academic year. Full-time faculty have a primary nine (9) month contract based on teaching 15 credit hours in the Fall and 15 credit hours in the Spring; teaching opportunities beyond contractual obligations, including during the summer may be available for additional compensation based upon departmental need.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Design and deliver instruction, evaluate student learning, manage course activities, consult and mentor students and participate in professional development for the improvement of Dental Programs instruction.
- Didactic and laboratory instruction of dental hygiene/dental assisting students during the day and/or evening hours.
- Serve as a professional role model for student within the Dental Programs.
- Facilitate dental hygiene student clinical activities with adjunct faculty, staff and dentist, as well as the University of Florida College of Dentistry (UFCD) and other external clinical rotation sites.
- Collaborate with the Clinical Facilities Lead Faculty regarding dental hygiene program needs including inventory, supplies, equipment.
- Collaborate with other Dental Programs’ faculty and the Director regarding the needs of Dental Program students and their academic and clinical progress.
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of assigned students within clinical rotations or during lab sessions.
- Participate in departmental activities, as well as serve on college committees and taskforces as necessary.
- Participate in activities related to the recruitment of students for the dental hygiene program.
- Strictly honor the privacy, security and confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director, Dental ProgramsQualifications
Required: A Bachelor’s degree or higher with a current Florida license in dental hygiene and a certification in Local Anesthesia plus one (1) year of clinical dental hygiene experience is required. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Two or more years of experience in clinical dental hygiene, clinical and didactic teaching, coursework in educational methodology and management, as well as a current Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Certified Dental Assistant credential are preferred. Familiarity with dental related practice software is also desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The Assistant Professor requires the ability to deliver a high level of interactive customer service, develop and maintain collaborative relationships inside and outside of the College, proactively solve problems, prioritize effectively and manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high level of accuracy. This position must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills accompanied by proficient computer skills, including familiarity with the Microsoft Suite of Office Applications and other software programs. The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to student success and excellence in undergraduate education with the ability to work a flexible schedule at multiple sites. The Assistant Professor must be able to work well with staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, letter of intent, three (3) current letters of recommendation, as well as college transcripts and certifications to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as the Assistant Professor, Dental Programs (Dental Hygiene) at Santa Fe College and explains the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Santa Fe College
3000 NW 83rd Street
Gainesville, FL 32606